Re: Conflicting alias for some man pages

…

> So, if I understand correctly, specifying the same name in the .SH NAME
> section in more than one page is problematic, right?  It makes sense to me.
> I'm a bit surprised that this bug hasn't been reported though, but otherwise
> I'm fine fixing it.

As usually whatis/man is hiding this, probably nobody has noticed (or
bothered reporting).

> I CCed a few people that have a lot more experience than I do, and will
> probably be able to tell if I understood the problem correctly.

Thanks.

> So, since we're still on time for the Debian freeze, if you confirm that
> this is the issue and the following fix is correct, I'll implement it and
> release man-pages-6.02 later this month; the solstice seems a proper day for
> a release, celebrating the new Sun.  Thanks for the report!

Thats great. I put the other Debian maintainer for manpages in CC so that
both are aware as well. If they are able to prepare a release soon
after you did, then the translators could start dealing with [1] which
looks like a big change?

Regarding timing:
There are quite a few fixes noted by the translators in the original
man pages. So it might make sense to report them as well soon?

Should I report them one by one as I did in the past to this list and
you and Michael Kerrisk in CC?

(We are not done with all translation updates, but I would simply report
the current issues even if slightly incomplete).

> So, I'll try to find a complete list of duplicate NAMEs, and keep only one of them.

Thank you!

> [1]: <https://lore.kernel.org/linux-man/20221110094033.ptpfsqpvvx2yd5xs@illithid/>

Greetings

         Helge