Re: man-pages.7: Simplify indentation of structure definitions, shell session logs, and so on

Hi Branden,

Sorry -- I think I'm still not getting it.

On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 at 14:54, G. Branden Robinson
<g.branden.robinson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> At 2020-09-30T22:02:43+1000, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> > [...] you can call .RE [...] as ".RE 2" to say "go back two
> > indentation levels"
>
> Nope, that's wrong.  Forget I said that; I think I might now see
> something I can further improve in the documentation.
>
> You can see I'm still bedeviled by relative insets.  :-|
>
> I tend to never use the argument to .RE; I just call .RE multiple times
> to balance out my .RS calls, just like parentheses.  When I do that, I
> don't get surprised.
>
> > without having to track or remember any indentation measurements.
>
> This part remains true.  :)

Currently, I use the idiom

.PP
.in +4n
.EX
<code>
.EE
.in
.PP

or, if we're in indented paragraph territory:

.IP
.in +4n
.EX
<code>
.EE
.in
.IP

This is of course hacky, and of course in order to get it right, I
need to know where to use .IP vs .PP.

I'd happily replace this with the use of ".RS 4/.EX/.EE/.RE", but
what, if anything do I surround it with? And can I do it in a way that
I don't need to care whether I'm currently in an indented zone of
text?

I mean, if I use:

.RS
.RS 4
.PP
.EX
int
main(void)
{
    printf("Hello world\n");
}
.EE
.PP
.RE
.RE

That produces the desired results (4-space indent) if I am currently
in an indented zone (.TP or .IP). (But it starts to get even more
horribly verbose, in terms of markup, than what I currently use.)

But if I use that same form in an unindented zone, then <code> is
massively (12 spaces) indented. Instead, seem to need to say just:

.RS +4
.PP
.EX
int
main(void)
{
    printf("Hello world\n");
}
.EE
.PP
.RE

What I'd *ideally* like is a solution for indented code blocks that
(in order or priority):

1) is not more verbose than the current solution
2) uses more idiomatic mark-up than the current solution
3) uses exactly the same form, regardless of whether I'm currently in
an indented region of text.

So far, I don't see such a solution.

Thanks,

Michael