Re: [syzbot] [hfs?] WARNING in hfs_write_inode

On Fri, 21 Jul 2023, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

You've misunderstood.  Google have decided to subject the entire kernel
(including obsolete unmaintained filesystems) to stress tests that it's
never had before.  IOW these bugs have been there since the code was
merged.  There's nothing to back out.  There's no API change to blame.
It's always been buggy and it's never mattered before.

I'm not blaming the unstable API for the bugs, I'm blaming it for the
workload. A stable API (like a userspace API) decreases the likelihood
that overloaded maintainers have to orphan a filesystem implementation.