Re: [syzbot] [hfs?] WARNING in hfs_write_inode

On Thu, 2023-07-20 at 18:59 +0100, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
On Thu, Jul 20, 2023 at 07:50:47PM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
Then we should delete the HFS/HFS+ filesystems.  They're orphaned in
MAINTAINERS and if distros are going to do such a damnfool thing,
then we must stop them.

Both HFS and HFS+ work perfectly fine. And if distributions or users are so
sensitive about security, it's up to them to blacklist individual features
in the kernel.

Both HFS and HFS+ have been the default filesystem on MacOS for 30 years
and I don't think it's justified to introduce such a hard compatibility
breakage just because some people are worried about theoretical evil
maid attacks.

HFS/HFS+ mandatory if you want to boot Linux on a classic Mac or PowerMac
and I don't think it's okay to break all these systems running Linux.

If they're so popular, then it should be no trouble to find somebody
to volunteer to maintain those filesystems.  Except they've been
marked as orphaned since 2011 and effectively were orphaned several
years before that (the last contribution I see from Roman Zippel is
in 2008, and his last contribution to hfs was in 2006).

I suspect that this is one of those catch-22 situations: distros are
going to enable every feature under the sun. That doesn't mean that
anyone is actually _using_ them these days.

Is "staging" still a thing? Maybe we should move these drivers into the
staging directory and pick a release where we'll sunset it, and then see
who comes out of the woodwork?

Cheers,
--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>