Re: [syzbot] [hfs?] WARNING in hfs_write_inode

On Wed, Jan 4, 2023, at 20:06, Linus Torvalds wrote:

I suspect this code is basically all dead. From what I can tell, hfs
only gets updates for

 (a) syzbot reports

 (b) vfs interface changes

There is clearly no new work going into it, and most data exchange
with MacOS would use HFS+, but I think there are still some users.

and the last real changes seem to have been by Ernesto A. Fernández
back in 2018.

Hmm. Looking at that code, we have another bug in there, introduced by
an earlier fix for a similar issue: commit 8d824e69d9f3 ("hfs: fix OOB
Read in __hfs_brec_find") added

+       if (HFS_I(main_inode)->cat_key.CName.len > HFS_NAMELEN)
+               return -EIO;

but it's after hfs_find_init(), so it should actually have done a
hfs_find_exit() to not leak memory.

So we should probably fix that too.

Something like this ENTIRELY UNTESTED patch?

Do we have anybody who looks at hfs?

Adding Viacheslav Dubeyko to Cc, he's at least been reviewing
patches for HFS and HFS+ somewhat recently. The linux-m68k
list may have some users dual-booting old MacOS.

Viacheslav, see the start of the thread at
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/000000000000dbce4e05f170f289@xxxxxxxxxx/

     Arnd