Re: Debian initramfs/initrd, was Re: stack smashing detected

On Mon, 2023-02-06 at 09:29 +1100, Finn Thain wrote:
On Sun, 5 Feb 2023, Stan Johnson wrote:

To save time, I recommend using QEMU and an up-to-date Debian/m68k SID
virtual machine to produce the vmlinux and initrd files needed for use
with Penguin on your slower machines.

AFAIK, the initrd must be created on the system that is using the initrd
(or an identical system, at least that was the response I received a
while back when I was unsuccessfully trying to use the initrd that ships
on the Debian install CD).

If that was true, how could Debian ship a single initrd that works on
Atari, Amiga, Mac etc.? They could not.

You cannot use the initrd that's on the debian-installer medium because it
boots directly into the installer. It's not a regular initrd.

That's completely independent of the architecture/sub-architecture in use.

When you need to generate a valid Debian/m68k vmlinux/initrd combination
that is also current, then you'll need a Debian/m68k system that is
current. The quickest way to get it is an emulator.

Correct.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz