Debian initramfs/initrd, was Re: stack smashing detected

On Sun, 5 Feb 2023, Stan Johnson wrote:

To save time, I recommend using QEMU and an up-to-date Debian/m68k SID
virtual machine to produce the vmlinux and initrd files needed for use
with Penguin on your slower machines.

AFAIK, the initrd must be created on the system that is using the initrd
(or an identical system, at least that was the response I received a
while back when I was unsuccessfully trying to use the initrd that ships
on the Debian install CD).

If that was true, how could Debian ship a single initrd that works on
Atari, Amiga, Mac etc.? They could not.

If you boot a random Debian/m68k rootfs with a random Debian/m68k
vmlinux/initrd combination, and if you need a kernal module at some point,
then your random rootfs must contain the modules that match your random
kernel binary (probably not going to work).

If you never need to load a module, perhaps because the important ones all
got loaded from the initrd, then all you need is a valid vmlinux/initrd
combination and the rootfs is not relevant.

When you need to generate a valid Debian/m68k vmlinux/initrd combination
that is also current, then you'll need a Debian/m68k system that is
current. The quickest way to get it is an emulator.

When you need a small initrd, because of RAM limitations, you'll need to
customize your initrd for your hardware using /etc/initramfs-tools (as
mentioned).

If you succeed, you'll get an initrd that is missing all the modules for
all the hardware that you don't own, which saves RAM. It doesn't matter
what system generates that initrd (could be a build farm).