Re: stack smashing detected

On Wed, 1 Feb 2023, Stan Johnson wrote:

After logging the start and end of each script, I see that the "stack
smashing detected" error often happens while running
"/etc/rcS.d/S01mountkernfs.sh" (/etc/init.d/mountkernfs.sh). I'll try to
isolate it to a particular command.

That brings to mind some other unresolved initscript failures, also
involving 68030, which were accompanied by "page allocation failure".

But it's hard to blame "stack smashing detected" on a page allocation
failure since the latter always produces a very noisy splat in the kernel
messages.

Have you reproduced the error with Debian's kernel package?

If not, please refer to private correspondence from me dated 10 December
2022 regarding setting up /etc/initramfs-tools so as to produce a suitably
small initramfs.

To save time, I recommend using QEMU and an up-to-date Debian/m68k SID
virtual machine to produce the vmlinux and initrd files needed for use
with Penguin on your slower machines.