Re: penguin (was Re: Linux-mac68k project account maintenance)

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 11:39:49AM +1000, Finn Thain wrote:
MAME/MESS can boot MacOS. There is work under way to boot MacOS in
qemu-system-m68k.

But outside of A/UX, I don't know of any way to get hardware assisted
virtualization for 68k MacOS applications.

It didn't work on Linux last I checked, but Basilisk II has support for
running directly on the CPU in NetBSD while only emulating the
supervisor instructions (it used a signal handler to detect and handle
anything that would cause an exception). I looked at the code, and it
appeared to be possible to do the same on Linux with some tweaks to
the signal handler (Linux passes the extra context differently).

However, Basilisk II can only boot MacOS because it doesn't actually
emulate all the hardware. In a few cases, it emulates synthetic
devices and inserts its own drivers with fake expansion ROMs. This
means you can't run Linux, NetBSD, or A/UX.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx