Re: m68k using deprecated internal APIs?

On Sat, 27 Oct 2018, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

This stuff is so getting annoying. I don't understand why all of a
sudden there is such a big urge to kick everything out that is old. Is
the Linux kernel supposed to be an x86-only project?

Some maintainers don't like mature code. But it's hard to figure out why
it is so. Defect density in old code is never used as a criterion.

I guess there are perverse incentives at work in industry which don't
exist in the wider community. E.g. workers being paid according to the
number of lines of code added/removed/modified.

Refactoring legacy code can be automated. But doing so would touch fewer
lines of code than wholesale deletion, so the incentive seems to be
backwards.

I don't get it. The port is actively maintained and working well, new
drivers are being added. And there is a vibrant community using it. Try
buying a used Amiga on eBay and you know what I mean.

There is new hardware being developed all the time. Just recently, we
added support for the xsurf100 network card from Individual Computers.
And I expect more drivers to be added in the future.

Is Linux really only a commercial product now so that everything that is
not maintained by a large company needs to go quick?

That has been my impression also. It's very short sighted, because
standard practice in engineering is to re-use proven ideas. Old designs
get shipped in new guises, albeit smaller and faster.

The alternative to re-use is re-invention, which is not obviously
profitable but does generate economic activity. Therefore, re-use may be
undesirable according to Keynesianism.

Also, bogus patents issued for designs that already have prior art may be
compounding the problem but this is all just speculation.

--

Adrian