Re: Sun3 SCSI DMA, was Re: converting the NCR5380 drivers away from scsi_register

Hi Finn,

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 1:46 PM, Finn Thain <fthain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014, Michael Schmitz wrote:

When cmd->device->borken, I assume sun3_NCR5380 inhibits PIO
because PIO was itself expected to be problematic?

The sun3 driver does set the borken flag but never uses it later - can't
see where it will inhibit PIO.

It inhibited PIO when it forked the atari code and commented out the test
for cmd->device->borken, to ensure that PIO would never be used here.

I see. I just tool that to mean the Sun3 driver never had trouble with
devices failing at that section, so no need to switch from DMA to PIO
(because DMA never fails).

Hence my suggestion that PIO itself was expected was problematic. OTOH,
PIO is used up to 128 bytes, and beyond 128 bytes if !REQ_TYPE_FS...

Up to 128 for DMA limitations - the other bit I don't understand either.

Cheers,

  Michael