Re: converting the NCR5380 drivers away from scsi_register

Hi Finn,
atari_scsi is only used on TT and Falcon Atari variants. 'Testing' for hardware presence is just checking bits from a bitmap populated at arch_init time, that can easily be moved into a platform device setup, much like I already do for the network drivers. Does that answer your question?

Yes. I'll convert {atari,mac,sun3}_scsi to platform devices and scsi_host_alloc/scsi_add_host.

Thanks, much appreciated. I can supply the platform device setup in arch/m68k/atari/config.c once you have decided what kind of resources or platform data will be needed.

If you rather want to do this - either use the ATARIHW_PRESENT() macros to test for ST_SCSI (Falcon, interrupt no. IRQ_MFP_FSCSI) or TT_SCSI (TT, interrupt no. IRQ_TT_MFP_SCSI). Or else, replicate the logic from config_atari() - the SCSI chip directly mapped only in the TT integration, the Falcon needs to access SCSI registers through the ST-DMA chip, and needs the weird ST-DMA locking scheme plus a few other quirks.

Looking at atari_scsi.c - the code is full of IS_A_TT() macros and other Atari specfic macros that could be replaced by testing bits in a feature map. One bit (TT or Falcon style SCSI integration) rather - that still leaves the register access functions for TT and Falcon to sort out. Do you plan to do all that in one go? Might need another platform device for the ST-DMA as well ...

Cheers,

   Michael