Re: m68k-queue

Finn,
It appears there has been testing on recent kernels and continued improvement of hardware support - what is the latest kernel version that you or others tested?

The most recent kernel that I tested was 3.2, with the patches I was working on at the time. Those patches went into 3.3, but they aren't important for 68040 machines.

Should still work in 3.10 I'd expect.

I've lost track - does the current unstable/experimental debian-ports distribution boot and install on Macs?

I haven't tested Thorsten's current images. But if they work on '040 Aranym, I can see no reason why they wouldn't work on '040 Macs. (Excepting those Macs with the buggy 68LC040 chip revision.)

That's understood.
I did boot Thorsten's work successfully on a PowerBook 540 a while back (I used ATAoE because of SCSI issues but SONIC ethernet DMA is faster than local disk controllers anyway). I forget whether it was a debootstrap or chroot.

The CD-ROM images at people.debian.org/~smarenka didn't work last time I tried.
Getting installable CD-ROM images to work again is a whole new can of worms - Thorsten's chroot images or debootstrap instructions should be good enough for now.

Shame there's no such thing as 060 accelerator for Macs, but with 040 models it might be feasible.

The DMA support in the SONIC ethernet driver and the PDMA support in the ESP SCSI driver help a lot. Given 256 MB of RAM, a Quadra 950 would be a good option.

True - what bogs down my Falcon is the PIO mode IDE, first and foremost. DMA SCSI might be a bit better but I've not had the SCSI driver stable since 2.4 or 2.6.

Cheers,

   Michael