Re: m68k-queue

Finn,

I went digging in the mac68k repo. ADBREQ_RAW shows up here:

    "Latest ADB changes including the new 68k PMU driver."
    http://linux-mac68k.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/linux-mac68k/linux-mac68k/drivers/macintosh/adb.c?r1=1.15&r2=1.16&;

    "Added Baboon interrupt support.
    Moved all time and PRAM-related functions into misc.c."
    http://linux-mac68k.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/linux-mac68k/linux-mac68k/arch/m68k/mac/misc.c?r1=1.4&r2=1.5&;

You are right, ADBREQ_RAW was clearly PRAM and clock related.

Thanks for this bit of detective work - I had forgotten about the
mac68k CVS. Or never knew about it).

And this seems to indicate roughly when it got broken:

    "Merge with 2.4.0 release."
    http://linux-mac68k.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/linux-mac68k/linux-mac68k/drivers/macintosh/adb.c?r1=1.21&r2=1.22

Appears it was broken in v1.21 already (unconditionally sets the first
byte to ADB_PACKET).

If clock/pram access is all handled by other code now, the patch
should indeed be dropped.

Cheers,

  Michael

Geert, you should drop this patch, because there are no other patches in
your queue that use ADBREQ_RAW and because it seems to be broken (the idea
of sending a raw packet using adb_request() was apparently to permit
req->data[0] != ADB_PACKET). Also it seems to have become obsolete back in
2006.

I'd guess so - I struggle to recall what this was for. Perhaps to talk
to the clock chip on some Macs.

I went digging in the mac68k repo. ADBREQ_RAW shows up here:

    "Latest ADB changes including the new 68k PMU driver."
    http://linux-mac68k.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/linux-mac68k/linux-mac68k/drivers/macintosh/adb.c?r1=1.15&r2=1.16&;

    "Added Baboon interrupt support.
    Moved all time and PRAM-related functions into misc.c."
    http://linux-mac68k.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/linux-mac68k/linux-mac68k/arch/m68k/mac/misc.c?r1=1.4&r2=1.5&;

You are right, ADBREQ_RAW was clearly PRAM and clock related.

And this seems to indicate roughly when it got broken:

    "Merge with 2.4.0 release."
    http://linux-mac68k.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/linux-mac68k/linux-mac68k/drivers/macintosh/adb.c?r1=1.21&r2=1.22

Anyway, in mainline kernels, adb_request() was not called from the PRAM
and clock related code since 2006 when Al Viro got that code to build
again:

    https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/arch/m68k/mac/misc.c?id=3272244c2b1a8f13cec83c04b8245fa7fcb47a27

Finn