Re: Atari ROM port ISA

2012/5/14 Michael Schmitz <schmitzmic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Hi David,

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 10:33 PM, David Gálvez <dgalvez75@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi, I would like to help to make those tests, although my only
experience with Linux is as Ubuntu user. I have a CT060 Falcon with a
NetUSBee and also an Ethernat and I've just installed Linux in it. I

Thanks for your offer - what kernel version does your Falcon Linux
installation currently use?

3.4-rc5, I've cloned Geert's tree and compiled the kernel using
atari_defcofig, then I should enable the configuration option
"Maintain a devtmpfs filesystem to mount at /dev" to make the kernel
to finish the boot process.

My development is based on 3.4-rc3, if your Linux system is a recent
enough one there should not be any problems with booting 3.4 kernels.
I will send a kernel image file and a modules archive by separate
mail.

OK, my installation is based on this https://wiki.debian.org/Aranym/Quick

The kernel and modules I can provide won't come nicely packaged as in
Ubuntu or Debian kernel image packages. You will have to extract the
modules archive in the root of your file system, and then run 'depmod
-a 3.4.0-rc3-atari-35598-gf7ff2b8-dirty' (all as root) before booting
the 3.4 kernel.

OK, no problem, thanks for the explanation.

Once the new kernel has booted, please try loading the EtherNAT
drivers (called smc91x for the network and isp116x-hcd for the USB
driver). Check the kernel message log (command 'dmesg') for any
messages relating to the modules loading. The smc91x should load OK, I
run into problems later on when the corresponding network interface is
brought up. The USB one balks at the initial hardware checks on my
Falcon.

If you happen to get kernel panic messages these should be possible to
catch with a serial nullmodem cable between your Falcon and another
computer.

OK, I have the cable and I've already tested debugging this way.

We don't have a USB driver for the NetUSBee right now - though it
should not be too hard to pull off (I need to write a bit of ROM port
access glue for that). I will have to send a new kernel image for that
kind of change but most of the modules should be possible to reuse.

The Ethernet part of the NetUSBee should work using the atari_ethernec
driver in currrent kernels. The driver has been renamed to 'ne' in my
development branch.

The USB driver is named isp116x-hcd for the EtherNAT. I'll try to use
the same driver name for the NetUSBee if that's possible (it's easy
enough if you only have one of the two installed, but may be a bit
difficult if you've got them both).

Stay tuned for the kernel and modules - I'll send them off right away.

I'll report back here as soon as I'm done with the tests.

Thanks.