Re: TLS in the kernel

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 07:39:54AM -0400, Michael Casadevall wrote:
I can't claim to be an expert on this subject, but the kernel part is
only necessary for NPTL to my knowledge, so a more modern glibc can
made available for m68k once binutils and gcc do the right things with
__thread (I've already did some work building glibc 2.7 with
linuxthreads, with a nice amount of success, but to make it work
properly, binutils and gcc needs to understand TLS).

On some architectures, __thread could work without kernel support. If
we implement it for m68k/ColdFire the way that was proposed, it would
break without at least some kernel support. We don't have any extra
registers to dedicate to TLS the way ppc does, for example.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx