Re: Implement per-key keyboard backlight as auxdisplay?

Hi,

On 1/30/24 19:09, Werner Sembach wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> resend because Thunderbird htmlified the mail :/

I use thunderbird too. If you right click on the server name
and then go to "Settings" -> "Composition & Addressing"
and then uncheck "Compose messages in HTML format"
I think that should do the trick.

> Am 30.01.24 um 18:10 schrieb Hans de Goede:
>> Hi Werner,
>>
>> On 1/30/24 12:12, Werner Sembach wrote:
>>> Hi Hans,
>>>
>>> Am 29.01.24 um 14:24 schrieb Hans de Goede:
> <snip>
>>> I think that are mostly external keyboards, so in theory a possible cut could also between built-in and external devices.
>> IMHO it would be better to limit /dev/rgbledstring use to only
>> cases where direct userspace control is not possible and thus
>> have the cut be based on whether direct userspace control
>> (e.g. /dev/hidraw access) is possible or not.
>
> Ack
>
> <snip>
>
>>> So also no basic driver? Or still the concept from before with a basic 1 zone only driver via leds subsystem to have something working, but it is unregistered by userspace, if open rgb wants to take over for fine granular support?
>> Ah good point, no I think that a basic driver just for kbd backlight
>> brightness support which works with the standard desktop environment
>> controls for this makes sense.
>>
>> Combined with some mechanism for e.g. openrgb to fully take over
>> control as discussed. It is probably a good idea to file a separate
>> issue with the openrgb project to discuss the takeover API.
>
> I think the OpenRGB maintainers are pretty flexible at that point, after all it's similar to enable commands a lot of rgb devices need anyway. I would include it in a full api proposal.

Ack.

> On this note: Any particular reason you suggested an ioctl interface instead of a sysfs one? (Open question as, for example, I have no idea what performance implications both have)

sysfs APIs typically have a one file per setting approach,
so for effects with speed and multiple-color settings you
would need a whole bunch of different files and then you
would either need to immediately apply every setting,
needing multiple writes to the hw for a single effect
update, or have some sort of "commit" sysfs attribute.

With ioctls you can simply provide all the settings
in one call, which is why I suggested using ioctls.

Regards,

Hans

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]