Re: Implement per-key keyboard backlight as auxdisplay?

On Fri, Oct 13, 2023 at 9:56 PM Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:

> So... a bit of rationale. The keyboard does not really fit into the
> LED subsystem; LEDs are expected to be independent ("hdd led") and not
> a matrix of them.

Makes sense.

> We do see various strange displays these days -- they commonly have
> rounded corners and holes in them. I'm not sure how that's currently
> supported, but I believe it is reasonable to view keyboard as a
> display with slightly weird placing of pixels.
>
> Plus, I'd really like to play tetris on one of those :-).
>
> So, would presenting them as auxdisplay be acceptable? Or are there
> better options?

It sounds like a fair use case -- auxdisplay are typically simple
character-based or small graphical displays, e.g. 128x64, that may not
be a "main" / usual screen as typically understood, but the concept is
a bit fuzzy and we are a bit of a catch-all.

And "keyboard backlight display with a pixel/color per-key" does not
sound like a "main" screen, and having some cute effects displayed
there are the kind of thing that one could do in the usual small
graphical ones too. :)

But if somebody prefers to create new categories (or subcategories
within auxdisplay) to hold these, that could be nice too (in the
latter case, I would perhaps suggest reorganizing all of the existing
ones while at it).

Cheers,
Miguel

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]