Re: Implement per-key keyboard backlight as auxdisplay?

On Mon, 16 Oct 2023, Miguel Ojeda <miguel.ojeda.sandonis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 13, 2023 at 9:56 PM Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> So... a bit of rationale. The keyboard does not really fit into the
>> LED subsystem; LEDs are expected to be independent ("hdd led") and not
>> a matrix of them.
>
> Makes sense.
>
>> We do see various strange displays these days -- they commonly have
>> rounded corners and holes in them. I'm not sure how that's currently
>> supported, but I believe it is reasonable to view keyboard as a
>> display with slightly weird placing of pixels.
>>
>> Plus, I'd really like to play tetris on one of those :-).
>>
>> So, would presenting them as auxdisplay be acceptable? Or are there
>> better options?
>
> It sounds like a fair use case -- auxdisplay are typically simple
> character-based or small graphical displays, e.g. 128x64, that may not
> be a "main" / usual screen as typically understood, but the concept is
> a bit fuzzy and we are a bit of a catch-all.
>
> And "keyboard backlight display with a pixel/color per-key" does not
> sound like a "main" screen, and having some cute effects displayed
> there are the kind of thing that one could do in the usual small
> graphical ones too. :)
>
> But if somebody prefers to create new categories (or subcategories
> within auxdisplay) to hold these, that could be nice too (in the
> latter case, I would perhaps suggest reorganizing all of the existing
> ones while at it).

One could also reasonably make the argument that controlling the
individual keyboard key backlights should be part of the input
subsystem. It's not a display per se. (Unless you actually have small
displays on the keycaps, and I think that's a thing too.)

There's force feedback, there could be light feedback? There's also
drivers/input/input-leds.c for the keycaps that have leds, like caps
lock, num lock, etc.

Anyway, just throwing ideas around, no strong opinions, really.

BR,
Jani.

--
Jani Nikula, Intel

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]