Re: [cocci] Looking at lock scopes (with SmPL)?

* Markus Elfring (Markus.Elfring@xxxxxx) wrote:

> >> Probably, yes.
> >> https://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/667.html

> >> Would you like to improve the support anyhow for more complete and succinct
> >> resource management in affected software areas?
> >
> > I was just suggesting a perhaps more targeted approach rather than
> > just looking for all cases of lock/unlock.
>
> How would you like to handle source code analyses if lock scopes
> would occasionally be distributed over different function implementations?

It depends on the aim:
  a) If you want to find some cases to replace with guard, then I'd
    only do the simple case where there is nothing distributed across
    functions.

  b) If you're trying to prove/detect failures then that needs
    to look at the hard cases I guess; but I think there are other
    tools doing that??

> Will development interests grow also for checking combinations according to
> other pairs of actions?

This is only a suggestion from me; I wouldn't drive too much off it.

Dave

> Regards,
> Markus
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    |       Running GNU/Linux       | Happy  \
\        dave @ treblig.org |                               | In Hex /