Re: [patch] x86/efi: use GFP_ATOMIC under spin_lock

>>> On 09.03.14 at 17:20, Matt Fleming <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Mar, at 03:25:37PM, Dan Carpenter wrote:
>>
>> You're on your own for fixing the complicated stuff like layering
>> violations. I just do static checker stuff and sed fixes.  ;)
>
> Thanks for the patch Dan. Nice catch.
>
> But I'm wondering if we can simply delete phys_efi_get_time() to avoid
> the whole problem of doing GFP_KERNEL allocations under a spinlock.
>
> In fact, the whole EFI time stuff is looking a bit crusty.
>
> I only see two direct users of efi.get_time() outside of arch,
>
>   drivers/char/efirtc.c
>   drivers/rtc/rtc-efi.c
>
> which are both "depends on IA64".

And wrongly so. I continue to think that the fact that various
firmware implementations are broken should not make us by
default avoid using proper abstraction functionality whenever
possible. There's a reason behind that abstraction after all...

> For x86, all other callers are inside
> arch/x86/platform/efi/efi.c,
>
>   efi_set_rtc_mmss()
>   efi_get_time()
>
> neither of which have any callers - it all appears to be dead code. The
> diff stat of deleting all this dead code isn't too bad either,

>  arch/x86/platform/efi/efi_64.c |  90 ------------------------
>
> Thoughts?

Please don't, except perhaps for the phys_efi_get_time() removal.

Jan