Re: Tips for a Newcomer

On 07/03/2013 03:28 AM, Dan Carpenter wrote:
On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 05:19:19PM -0400, Logan Blyth wrote:
Hello list,

I am looking for some tips on starting as a kernel janitor, and I
was hoping to find out the general work flow that people use. From
what I can tell, we search through the kernel-next git repo, then
either by grep, ctags, or some other method?
I use cscope with vim.  There is a "make cscope" build target.

We are looking for
things in the KernelJanitors/Todo, possibly stuff turned up by
sparse? Maybe a different static analyser like from clang?
Yeah.  That's a lot of it.  I don't think anyone is doing clang so
you could find some unique bugs that way.  Do you know how to get
clang working for the kernel?
I thought I did, turns out, I am struggling. I am planning on watching this video
http://video.linux.com/videos/applying-clang-static-analyzer-to-linux-kernel
but it is 30 min, and I am about to head off to work. I am also having some problems finding bugs, I saw that we should be looking in drivers/staging for bugs, Do we need to make changes to the .config to get those to show up in the tools (clang, smatch, sparse)? If so, are their any other changes?

I would like to compile all the info and tips I have been seeing into a web page. If anyone wants to add to the info, I am happy to hear advice.
 From there we make sure the patch applys cleanly and mail the
maintainer, copying the LKML and Kernel-Janitors?
Yep.  Use scripts/get_maintainer.pl.  Send your first patch to
kernel janitors without CC'd the maintainer so we can check it for
you.

regards,
dan carpenter