Re: Creating and sending patch without git (Sending As plain text)

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 9:52 PM, Kumar Gaurav
<kumargauravgupta3@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>

> I have fixed several bugs in a program in staging and now want to send it to
>
> you before sending to maintainers. But currently i don't have git clone of
>
> current kernel. I had downloaded full tarball of 3.11-rc1 version.
>

> So please tell me if there's a way to formate a mail and create a path for
> the
>
> fix that i did. So that you can review my code.
>

> Curently i'm cloning kernel using git but it seems like it'll take forever
> as
>
> i dnt have very fast Internet connection speed and it seems to download
> around
>
> 1200MB of data from last 2hr i've completed with just 5%. So let me know if
>
> there's way w/o git.
You can create a git repository from the source code you've
downloaded. See the steps:

$ wget https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.x/linux-3.10.2.tar.bz2
$ tar xvjf linux-3.10.2.tar.bz2
$ cd linux-3.10.2/
$ git init
$ git add *
$ git commit -m 'initial commit'

It is important to do the git commands 'before' doing any change to
the source code. After creating the git repository, all git commands
should work.

> Regards
>
> Kumar Gaurav
>
> --