Re: Tips for a Newcomer

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 08:13:36AM -0400, Logan Blyth wrote:

> On 07/03/2013 03:28 AM, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> >On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 05:19:19PM -0400, Logan Blyth wrote:
> >>Hello list,
> >>
> >>I am looking for some tips on starting as a kernel janitor, and I
> >>was hoping to find out the general work flow that people use. From
> >>what I can tell, we search through the kernel-next git repo, then
> >>either by grep, ctags, or some other method?
> >I use cscope with vim.  There is a "make cscope" build target.
> >
> >>We are looking for
> >>things in the KernelJanitors/Todo, possibly stuff turned up by
> >>sparse? Maybe a different static analyser like from clang?
> >Yeah.  That's a lot of it.  I don't think anyone is doing clang so
> >you could find some unique bugs that way.  Do you know how to get
> >clang working for the kernel?
> I thought I did, turns out, I am struggling. I am planning on
> watching this video
> http://video.linux.com/videos/applying-clang-static-analyzer-to-linux-kernel
> but it is 30 min, and I am about to head off to work. I am also
> having some problems finding bugs, I saw that we should be looking
> in drivers/staging for bugs, Do we need to make changes to the
> .config to get those to show up in the tools (clang, smatch,
> sparse)? If so, are their any other changes?

Watch the video on clang.  It's pretty complicated from what I
remember, but maybe it's easier these days.

Someone already posted the links for sparse.

For Smatch the commands are:

git clone git://repo.or.cz/smatch.git
cd smatch
make
cd ~/kernel/src/

>From here you could build the database (optional):
~/progs/smatch/devel/smatch_scripts/build_kernel_data.sh

To test the whole kernel the command is:
~/progs/smatch/devel/smatch_scripts/test_kernel.sh
creates a warns.txt file at the end.

Or to test only one file the command is:
~/progs/smatch/devel/smatch_scripts/kchecker drivers/file.c

regards,
dan carpenter