source processing-friendly scripting

Sam Ravnborg @ Fri, May 02, 2008 at 12:42:11PM +0200:
[]
> > |It would make casual kbuild hacking only even more difficult, as one has
> > |to check it works with the various shells.
> > `--
> This is still true. But we start to see a few more people reporting issues
> with non-standard Linux systems (busy-box, cygwin, sun) so there is a
> need and there is a tester base.

Even if i will have my extended `sh` (as you may saw in dash list),
it's quite easy to make portability modules for any tools used.

But this is the case only if source/script is not a concrete -- i.e. is
written is the way friendly for text-processing tools, thus clear
plain-text transformations of source can be possible. This is not the
case of `make` and requires experience as in scripting as in design.

> And any strightforward looking patches will be applied - when eventual
> feedback has been incorporated.

I've shown readable `sed` for cases other than MIPS. MIPS requires
more cleanup of all that manual "#define" stuff.

,-- arch/mips/kernel/asm-offsets.c --
|        text("/* MIPS pt_regs offsets. */");
|        offset("#define PT_R0     ", struct pt_regs, regs[0]);
`--

Anyone, who wants to have some understanding of basic things:

* processing of plain text
* gcc/assembler generation
* kbuild

may take it and have ``fun''.