Re: gcc 3.4.6 fails to build 2.6.25 due to offsetof() not digestible by gas

On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 07:10:42PM +0200, sampo@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> >> sed --version
> >> GNU sed version 4.1.5-boot
> >
> > Where does this "4.1.5-boot" version come from?
> > Is this some stripped down version of sed?
>
> Interesting question. I do use busybox as my userland for most purposes,
> but in case of sed I believe it really is the gnu sed.
>
> which sed
> /usr/bin/sed
> /usr/bin/sed --version
> GNU sed version 4.1.5-boot
> sampo@jin:/aino/linux 0$ /bin/sed --version
> This is not GNU sed version 4.0
>
> The former, which is gnu sed, should be picked up by PATH. The latter
> which appears to be picked by make, is the busybox sed. The gnu sed was
> compiled by me for my own distro, hence -boot label, but has not been
> stripped down in any way.

Thanks, that explains your problems.

> > If you run
> >
> >   sed -ne "/^->/{s:^->\([^ ]*\) [\$$#]*\([^ ]*\) \(.*\):#define \1 \2 /*
> > \3 */:; s:->::; p;}" < asm-offsets.s

> > with your asm-offsets.s file and this sed, does the result contain
> >
> >   IA32_SIGCONTEXT_ax $44 offsetof(struct sigcontext, ax)  #
> >
> > or
> >
> >   #define IA32_SIGCONTEXT_ax 44 /* offsetof(struct sigcontext, ax)
> > # */
>
> The latter. Which one is correct? Is asm-offsets.h the output of
> the above command? Please confirm.

The sed script transform the former to the latter.
You had the untransformed former which isn't valid code and therefore
failed to compile.

> Since on command line it seems to work fine,
> but in make time it bombs, I suspect make somehow manages to find
> the busybox sed, which verifiably produces output
> Thus this is probably a PATH issue of some sort. I will investigate,
> but will not delay this response.
>
> Of course as a mild feature request, please fix the sed parts to
> be more tolerant of lesser seds.

Either more tolerant (which might be non-trivial since there are more
sed usages in the kernel).

Or at least fail with a clear error message.

@Sam:
In case you didn't follow this discussion:
Sampo ran into the problem that the toplevel Kbuild file called a
non-GNU sed resulting in a broken asm-offsets.h.

> Cheers,
> --Sampo

cu
Adrian