Re: Input: mouse: Trackpoint middle button not recognized on Thinkpad E470

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 07, 2017 at 09:22:09AM +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 06, 2017 at 08:09:50PM +0200, Julian Exner wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > sorry for neglecting this thread for so long. And thanks Ulrik for pointing
> > me to the formalities.
> >
> > > I was kind of surprised at first that the value was 0x33 instead of 0x3
> > > until I read the documentation pointers Julian provided.
> >
> > It seems like some kind of softswitch or masking for the individual buttons.
> > One of the 4-bit nibbles indicates the number of available buttons in
> > hardware, the other one the number of activated buttons.
> >
> > > I really would like this patch to become part of the linux kernel and
> > > I hope that Julian will go through the formalities for patch submission.
> >
> > I'm willing to do so, but I'm very short on time currently. Additionally, I
> > checked on a Thinkpad forum and was told that there are Thinkpads from the
> > 90s with two buttons (e.g. ThinkPad 760 and those before ThinkPad
> > 390/600/770). So I'm a bit afraid that simply setting the default to three
> > buttons may break something for these models and a more elaborate patch may
> > be necessary.
>
> how many of these do you expect to still be alive *and* in need of a new
> kernel? wikipedia says the 760 was produced 1995 to 1998 which would make
> the newest of them 19 years old now. I'd rather have a hwdb quirk for those
> in userspace, because disabling event codes is trivial.

And next to that, question is if it actually would be using this specific
driver AND would fail to read out the amount of buttons via the extended
button request.

Up until commit from Mon Nov 16 22:12:21 2009

315eb996d550 Input: psmouse - rework setting of BTN_MIDDLE capability

it was default middle button for all trackpoints; after that the
middle button was disabled when < 3 buttons reported or the readout
of the buttons failed.

Ulrik