Re: Input: mouse: Trackpoint middle button not recognized on Thinkpad E470

Hi all,

sorry for neglecting this thread for so long. And thanks Ulrik for pointing me to the formalities.

I was kind of surprised at first that the value was 0x33 instead of 0x3
until I read the documentation pointers Julian provided.

It seems like some kind of softswitch or masking for the individual buttons. One of the 4-bit nibbles indicates the number of available buttons in hardware, the other one the number of activated buttons.

I really would like this patch to become part of the linux kernel and
I hope that Julian will go through the formalities for patch submission.

I'm willing to do so, but I'm very short on time currently. Additionally, I checked on a Thinkpad forum and was told that there are Thinkpads from the 90s with two buttons (e.g. ThinkPad 760 and those before ThinkPad 390/600/770). So I'm a bit afraid that simply setting the default to three buttons may break something for these models and a more elaborate patch may be necessary.

Kind regards,
Julian