How to properly extend uinput API

Hello,

I'm currently trying to somehow get uinput connected with ff-memless.

My first try (which is some kind of hack which prevents API changes and doesn't work at all) failed. Now my idea is to add some more simple (and probably working) API for this. All, I need in the "memless case", is some way to get two motor speeds sent to usermode, which doesn't require all this callback stuff.

There is a new API which, as far as I understand, is meant to be easier extendable:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/052876f8e5

What I need is some way to pass an additional boolean to tell the kernel module that usermode wants to use ff-memless. Device setup is done with an struct "uinput_setup". As far as I know it isn't easily possible to extend this without breaking existing stuff.

It would be possible to write some hack which passes this information via magic-value through ff_effects_max but I think there has to be some nicer way.

So how to pass one more piece of information from usermode to kernel module while setup without breaking existing (probably closed-source) stuff? Keep a definition of the old struct version and decide which one to use based on size?

Thank you very much in advance for any help.

Manuel