Re: uinput on headless system ...

Yes the uinput driver is compiled as a module and loaded before running the test app that I have (double checked with modprobe and lsmod). The same code has been compiled for my laptop and everything loads and works fine when sending events to the input subsystem. I mentioned the physical keyboard issue because that's what made it work: SCENARIO1 the headless motherboard starts without a keyboard and both the module and the app loads but no events get injected and the problem occurs when writing to the /dev/uinput device, SCENARIO2 I connect a physical keyboard and all goes well. I looked at the libevdev before and sinced my code ended up working on my laptop I discarded the library. I saw the libevdev-uinput.c you recommended, I think I'm following the same rationale.

Thanks for the replies ...

This is the code I'm using that fails at the end when writing to the /dev/uinput device:

    int uinputDev;
    struct uinput_user_dev device;
    memset(&device, 0, sizeof device);

    uinputDev = open("/dev/uinput",O_WRONLY | O_NONBLOCK);
        strcpy(device.name,"test remote");

        device.id.bustype=BUS_USB;
        device.id.vendor=1;
        device.id.product=1;
        device.id.version=1;

        if (write(uinputDev,&device,sizeof(device)) != sizeof(device))
        {
            fprintf(stderr, "error setup\n");
        }
        if (ioctl(uinputDev,UI_SET_EVBIT,EV_KEY) < 0)
            fprintf(stderr, "error evbit key\n");

        if (ioctl(uinputDev,UI_SET_KEYBIT, KEY_LEFT) < 0)
            fprintf(stderr, "error evbit key\n");

        if (ioctl(uinputDev,UI_SET_KEYBIT, KEY_UP) < 0)
            fprintf(stderr, "error evbit key\n");

        if (ioctl(uinputDev,UI_SET_KEYBIT, KEY_DOWN) < 0)
            fprintf(stderr, "error evbit key\n");

        if (ioctl(uinputDev,UI_SET_KEYBIT, KEY_RIGHT) < 0)
            fprintf(stderr, "error evbit key\n");

        if (ioctl(uinputDev,UI_SET_KEYBIT, KEY_ENTER) < 0)
            fprintf(stderr, "error evbit key\n");

        if (ioctl(uinputDev,UI_DEV_CREATE) < 0)
        {
            fprintf(stderr, "error create\n");
        }

     struct input_event event;

    memset(&event, 0, sizeof(event));
    event.type = EV_KEY;
    event.code = KEY_UP;
    event.value = 1;
    gettimeofday(&event.time,NULL);

if (write( uinputDev, &event, sizeof(struct input_event)) != sizeof( struct input_event) ) {
        fprintf(stderr, "Error on send_event");
        return -1;
    }

    memset(&event, 0, sizeof(event));