Re: uinput on headless system ...

Hi Roberto,

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 11:21 PM, Dmitry Torokhov
<dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Roberto,
>
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 09:19:39AM -0500, Roberto Alejandro Espi Munoz wrote:
>> Hello ... I've been searching around the web for a specific mailing
>> list for the uinput driver but couldn't find any.  I managed to
>> create an example app that injects keyboard events to the running
>> linux kernel succesfully when I have a keyboard attached to the
>> computer.  However if I run it on a keyboardless machine, like a
>> standalone motherboard, the uinput device fails to open.
>
> uinput driver does not depend on presence of a physical keyboard. I'd
> start looking whether uinput module is enabled on your headless box and
> if it is a module verify that it is loaded.

As Dmitry said, uinput is independent of any attached hardware.
You might want to see how we managed to create new devices through
uinput by looking at libevdev[1] (see libevdev/libevdev-uinput.c).

You might actually also want to use libevdev instead of manually doing
the ioctls and processing of all the small things :)

Cheers,
Benjamin

[1] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/libevdev/