Re: [RFC] Infrared Keycode standardization

On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 18:06 -0400, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 5:58 PM, Mauro Carvalho
> Chehab<mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Em Thu, 27 Aug 2009 21:36:36 +0300
> > Ville Syrjälä <syrjala@xxxxxx> escreveu:

> Since we're on the topic of IR support, there are probably a couple of
> other things we may want to be thinking about if we plan on
> refactoring the API at all:
>
> 1.  The fact that for RC5 remote controls, the tables in ir-keymaps.c
> only have the second byte.  In theory, they should have both bytes
> since the vendor byte helps prevents receiving spurious commands from
> unrelated remote controls.  We should include the ability to "ignore
> the vendor byte" so we can continue to support all the remotes
> currently in the ir-keymaps.c where we don't know what the vendor byte
> should contain.

Since I uncovered this in my research, I thought I'd share...

RC-6A has a third (or thrid and fouth) byte:

http://www.picbasic.nl/frameload_uk.htm?http://www.picbasic.nl/info_rc6_uk.htm

for the "Customer Identifier".

It appears that the mode bits in the header determine if RC-6 (mode 0)
or RC-6A is in use.  The position of the mode bits in the header are
documented here:

http://www.sbprojects.com/knowledge/ir/rc6.htm

I'm guesing some MCE remotes use RC-6A.  When I get CX23888 IR support
to the point of actually working, I'll check both of my MCE remotes.

Regards,
Andy