Re: Equivalent of /dev/input/mice for keyboards

On Wednesday 14 January 2009 23:56:33 Alessio Sangalli wrote:
> Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> > I would take /dev/input/evdev.c as a base but instead of creating a new
> > character device in connect() method I would route all events into a
> > single device created upon module load (also see
> > drivers/input/mousedev.c). That should be really it.
>
> Hi, I've spent a few hours trying to get it right. I am able to
> "connect" the devices correclty but when it's time to open the devices I
> get a file "No such device" error. The code is at:
>
> http://pastebin.ca/1308960
>
> and I think the problem is around evall_open (line 129). Probably just a
> look of an experienced developer can give me some small indication what
> to do to solve the issue.

The way character devices are created by input core is tied very much
into existing handlers and is not very easy to plug into. I would
recommend creating a character device manually via misc_register() -
see how it is done in mousedev.c for psaux_mouse.

Also, I'd recommend getting rig of ioctl, write and grab code, they
don't make sense in context of multiplexor device and clutter the
code way too much.

Hope this helps.

--
Dmitry