Re: Equivalent of /dev/input/mice for keyboards

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 01:14:43PM -0800, Alessio Sangalli wrote:
> Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
>
> > I am very hesitant adding such multiplexing device to the kernel. While
> > it is pretty easy to write one we had only pain from them. There are all
> > kinds of quirks, grabs, and workarounds because people are using
> > /dev/input/mice and console but at the same time want to use event
> > devices for some of the hardware.
>
> Yes I appreciate your comments, I get your point.
>
> What I would personally like to experiment with is:
> - enabling this driver would automatically disable the other event
> devices and the console, so it is the only source of input events for
> the system
> - to me it's also an exercise the helps the understanding of the input
> layer and the kernel in general.
>
> In my free time, I'd like to do the implementation, having in mind you
> are not interested in merging it into the kernel. Would you spare some
> hints on how you would proceed?

I would take /dev/input/evdev.c as a base but instead of creating a new
character device in connect() method I would route all events into a
single device created upon module load (also see
drivers/input/mousedev.c). That should be really it.

--
Dmitry