Re: Need for 'nomux' has been rising lately ...

Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
Hi Jiri,

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 04:55:22PM +0200, Jiri Kosina wrote:
Hi Dmitry,

lately, I have been seeing a couple of bug reports in which touchpad of certain notebooks misbehaved, and i8042.nomux solved the problem. Most recently, this happened on [1]. Do you have any idea what might be the cause of the need for nomux rising so much lately? Apparently, some older kernels behaved correctly even without this workaround, at least on Acer Aspire 5710, as referenced in the bugreport.

I am always happy to blame ACPI code (especially EC) for bad
iteraction with input devices ;), especially since there weren't any
significant changes to i8042 in any recent kernels. Do you think the
person reporting the failure on Acer could try bisecting it? Could
ALexey Starikovskiy have any ideas whether there is bad EC iteractions
stopping timely delivery of mouse interrupts?

There was an issue with EC interrupt storm on several Acer notebooks lately,
hopefully solved (bug 11549).
Symptoms could be that keyboard/mouse are slow, missing keys, etc.
I suggest you should try the patch in 11549, or acpi-test tree, and see if your
problem goes away...

Regards,
Alex.