Re: building initramfs is slow

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Harald Hoyer <harald@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 19.08.2011 06:53, WANG Cong wrote:
>> As a kdump developer, I worry more about the size of initramfs generated
>> by dracut, because we have very limited memory (usually 128M or 256M)
>> in the second kernel. So, the output of `lsinitrd test2.img` would
>> be helpful too.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Maybe you should build your kdump kernel with the "hostonly" option, which will
> significantly reduce your initramfs.

Yeah, that does help, but the size is still large, see below

[root@nec-em18 ~]# dracut -H -M -f test.img --force-add nfs
dash
i18n
rpmversion
network
ifcfg
plymouth
dm
kernel-modules
lvm
nfs
resume
rootfs-block
terminfo
udev-rules
biosdevname
base
fs-lib
shutdown
[root@nec-em18 ~]# ls -lh test.img
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 11M Aug 19 03:00 test.img

Also note, there are still some unneeded modules get included, e.g. i18n
and plymouth.

Therefore, I choose to use -m and -a to specify the modules we really need.