Re: building initramfs is slow

On 18.08.2011 20:18, John Reiser wrote:
> Building an initramfs is unreasonably slow.  On Fedora 16
> dracut-011 takes almost a minute when installing a new kernel:
>    real   56s
>    user   20s   \__   dracut is CPU bound, not I/O bound.
>    sys    31s   /
> The final "gzip -9" takes 12 seconds, and the cpio 1 second,
> which leaves 43 seconds for the rest of dracut.  That's a
> factor of 3 or 4 too long.  The output initramfs is 14.9MB
> (41MB unzipped) and contains 1619 files, including 367 .ko
> kernel modules.

Some general thoughts.

1. speed at initramfs creation time is not sooo important. Normally this is only
done once in a while and not every day. Boot speed is more important.

2. if you care about speed of creation and size of the initramfs, turn on
"hostonly" in /etc/dracut.conf

> Yes, I'm going to work on it.

That's cool! I accept patches :-)