Re: dracut

Excerpts from Harald Hoyer's message of Tue Oct 26 13:09:25 +0200 2010:
> On 10/22/2010 01:35 PM, Mr Dash Four wrote:
> > Is it possible to build dracut for system/architecture which is different from
> > the host on which dracut is run?
> >
> > I have been looking through the various functions dracut provides (inst_binary
> > in particular) and it seems that dracut picks-up dependencies/libraries/kernel
> > modules and files on the host machine when building the initrd image, which to
> > me indicates that the resulting initrd image is tied to the current
> > kernel/architecture on which the host is run and cross-building won't be possible.
>
> kernel/architecture, yes

But we cannot do this with Dracut itself, if Mr Dash Four was asking
about it.  We need to compile all binaries we're including for specified
architecture.  Similar tool has such a feature - Gentoo's Genkernel.
But it uses sources and compilies them specially for initramfs with
hardcoded instructions.
--
Amadeusz ÅoÅnowski

PGP key fpr: C700 CEDE 0C18 212E 49DA  4653 F013 4531 E1DB FAB5