Re: dracut

But we cannot do this with Dracut itself, if Mr Dash Four was asking
about it.  We need to compile all binaries we're including for specified
architecture.  Similar tool has such a feature - Gentoo's Genkernel.
But it uses sources and compilies them specially for initramfs with
hardcoded instructions.
That would be my preference too!

Relying on what is currently installed on client's desktop machines is NOT a good idea as I found out to my cost - most of the 'standard' and already-compiled smartcard core libraries will NOT work on initramfs at all and need to be pre-compiled with certain options in order to strip down the dependencies to the bare minimum and allow them to function in initramfs environment.

As I already pointed out in my previous post just picking up those libraries from the client desktop machines will NOT work. I spent two days tearing my hair apart to come to this conclusion, but the good news is that I made the smartcard module WORK, so I am currently fine-tuning it and stripping the dependencies even further, though this module will have to be architecture (and therefore kernel) dependent!