Re: module 90kernel-modules-loaded

Bill Nottingham wrote:
[snip]

And now we've got large patchsets that:
- make the initramfs non-generic (in fact, machine-specific)
- handle various device types through shell snippets, not udev
  (raid, crypt, etc.)
- farm everything out to random modules, so no initramfs is alike

I think something's been lost here.

Just my 50 cents: The past few weeks have really been focused on creating a basic dracut infrastructure and getting various crazy and convoluted system-configurations to boot with a dracut _generated_ initramfs. And we're not even finished with that yet.

I view the current state as "collecting information" and prototyping to know which things need to be done inside the initrd and test out various combinations in how that can be done. But we're still a few steps from "the initrd of total domination".

Regards,
Philippe