Re: Dracut on different distros?

Victor Lowther wrote:
On Mar 4, 2009, at 10:40 AM, Seewer Philippe <philippe.seewer@xxxxxx> wrote:

Victor Lowther wrote:
[snip]
Second I have to ask how far Dracut needs (and wants) to go with the "One initrd to rule them all". The different distros will need to customize the initrd anyway. Think in terms of splash-screens, different versions of utilities and configs or just plain 'crazy and convoluted'...
I would have the goal of making dracut be able to generate a working no-frills initramfs with minimal (preferably no) distro customization, and have a hook structure that allows the distros to customize the initrams without having to patch things.

Yes, that's why I suggested Fallbacks (or maybe we should call them "sane defaults"). I see a few problems with the modules/hook structure though: If, for example, we provide a generic find-modules and the distro wants completely other functionality, that part of Dracut would have to be changed/disabled. That's a "patch" for me.

Hmmm... I am not seeing the difficulty here. Perhaps a code snippet or a more detailed use case would help.

Well, you could specify which modules to use in dracut.conf. Just add your modules and leave out the modules you don't want. No "patch" involved.