Dracut on different distros?

Hello all

...I'm starting a new subject on this for the sake of my brain. Mixing patches and important discussions always gets me heavily confused...

First of all, please remember that Debian has a certain policy and even though we should make Dracut work on Debian, Debian itself certainly won't adopt Dracut until at least the next full release. Which we all know will be released when its ready.

Second I have to ask how far Dracut needs (and wants) to go with the "One initrd to rule them all". The different distros will need to customize the initrd anyway. Think in terms of splash-screens, different versions of utilities and configs or just plain 'crazy and convoluted'...

So why not just go the way of 'as generic as possible', provide the common denominator and let the Distros sort out the rest?

An example: As Kay pointed out, we can never know if the provided rules really are the right ones. Getting to root might work but what about after that? Some stored information in /dev/.udev might be horribly incompatible. Best leave it to the Distro or local maintainer to tell Dracut which udev parts are the "good" ones.

Another example: As seen, we need to load a keymap for say, cryptroot. But which keymap? And where is it stored? Leave that to the Distro if it wants to load one.

And another example: Yes, Debian and Ubuntu don't provide modules.{block,net,...} Can we really find a way of finding all block drivers? Certainly stupid me can't think of a way to be sure we "really really" have all block drivers without including every single .ko. Leave it to the user to specifically set drivers or the Distro to tell Dracut which drivers to include.

I'm thinking of a debootstrappish system of suite/target (or topic/flavour) where Dracut specifically delegates those tasks away it cannot solve on its own. We might even provide some simple things like just including all drivers for testing purposes or as a fallback solution.

Regards,
Philippe