Re: Current status of dracut.

On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 02:50:09PM -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
 > On Monday, February 02 2009, Dave Jones said:
 >
 > > On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 11:37:08AM -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
 > >  > Things that still need doing include, but are not limited to..
 > >  >

 > > A few more things..
 > >
 > > The current Fedora mkinitrd generates initrds in the ~3MB range.
 > > A dracut generated image is ~17MB.
 >
 > 17?  I'm seeing along the lines of 7 on my box

you're right.  I was looking at an ungzipped image.

 > > * selinux policy loading.
 > >   I don't think there's any real reason this has to be in the initrd.
 > >   Though it means that either upstart or whatever init you use has to
 > >   do it, or your /sbin/init needs to become
 >
 > Right.  /sbin/init had it with sysvinit, but Scott was against adding it
 > in upstart.  Feel free to restart that discussion

with the two line init, upstart doesn't need to change
(other than the executable changing name).

 > > Finally, the udev rules currently in dracut are kind of hacky.
 > > It'd be good to just have a set of rules provided by the
 > > system udev that we can drop in there.
 >
 > Yep.  Kay and I had a very brief discussion about it before the
 > holidays.  And, eg, the dm/lvm rules that are there are almost entirely
 > there because those tools don't ship sane rules themselves.  If they
 > did, we could just suck them in.

*nod*  The hack we have now isn't pretty, but works at least.

 > I do think that there needs to be /lib/udev/initrules.d or similar to
 > say "these rules matter for booting" as opposed to the full set of rules
 > in /lib/udev or the hard-coded list of rules files currently present

I'm curious if any other distros have already solved this and are
shipping rules that aren't upstream yet?

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk