Re: ROHM BU27008 RGB sensor

On 4/16/23 16:52, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
>> And yes, I have been and continue to be giving feed-back to hardware
>> colleagues. And even though I am very much tempted of using your quote
>> as my email signature, I guess it is more productive to try a bit more
>> gentle approach with the feed-back. XD
>
> I wish you luck - in day job I tend to get less than half of what I ask
> for changed in future hardware / specs.

It's kind of comforting to hear this I am not alone in this train ;)

> A running joke when talking to my hardware colleagues is I moan at them
> for giving me unnecessarily complex (often crazy) interfaces and they
> reply with 'it's only software'.

I've heard that sentence countless times during my career. It'd make a
great movie scene where a room full of hardware engineers replied to a
lone complaining software engineer "It's only software" in unison XD

>>> Another option comes to mind.  Just have one scale value and don't allow the
>>> lowest gain value.  That way you can always program the scales to the same value
>>> by setting both registers.  So basically hid the oddity of that different
>>> 1x vs 2x initial scale by not supporting it.
>>
>> Yes. That would be an option. Not supporting 1X makes the 'saturation
>> point' for RGBC to jump 4X lower though... I will see how the code looks
>> like when implementing the 'check if high bits changed' logic you
>> suggested. Well, thanks a LOT for the help! This means I will soon(ish)
>> pour some more patches to your review queue :) (Might be I do some PMIC
>> work before that though).
>
> Any idea where these sensors tend to be used?  If its in consumer
> applications where max is likely bright daylight, maybe see if it
> saturates at that point. If it's for lighting control (think of
> putting one in a lighting unit itself) then maybe that initial value
> matters as light levels might be very high.

The data-sheet draft for one of these sensors states:
"It is ideal for adjusting LCD/OLED display brightness of TV, mobile
phone and tablet PC."

This sounds like daylight stuff for me - but I'd imagine people used ALS
for such purpose.

Thanks for all the help Jonathan, very much appreciated again!

Yours,
	-- Matti

--
Matti Vaittinen
Linux kernel developer at ROHM Semiconductors

~~ When things go utterly wrong vim users can always type :help! ~~