Re: GSoC Proposal 2022

On 04/11, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
> [...]
> > > hopefully to upstream things in multiple stages.  An old hand at IIO
> > > drivers will often just jump directly to a driver supporting all the
> > > features they wish to target.  As such, the 'perfect' device to target
> > > should meet a few requirements that may not be true for the approach of jumping
> > > straight to the end goal.  Note this is equally true for other people
> > > starting out writing drivers - though they can often do very simple
> > > devices first and that is not a good plan for a GSOC project where
> > > you need to have a progression during the project.
> > >
> > > Try to find something that offers some advanced features to provide
> > > stretch goals but make sure the basic functionality will work with
> > > a much simpler driver. So devices that provide straight forward
> > > registers to access the latest channel value are great, whereas
> > > those that only offer a streaming interfaces / fifo may be less suitable.
> > > However if they offer both that is perfect as the fifo make a good
> > > later feature for a GSOC project if things are going particularly
> > > well!  For a real stretch goal, find a device with features that
> > > we don't support at all today (perhaps new sensor types, or some
> > > other new feature) as they'll give you the experience of defining
> > > new ABI + possibly modifying the IIO core to meet some requirements.
> > >
> > > Another thing to look at it is whether the part is sufficiently
> > > different from those supported by existing drivers to justify a
> > > separate driver. If not, you may find your GSOC project becomes
> > > simply adding an ID! (then rapidly choosing a second device to
> > > work on).
> > >
> > > Hope that provides a few hints on what to look at.  Probably the best
> > > way around is to suggest one or more parts you think look interesting
> > > then we can give feedback on whether we think they'd be a good choice
> > > or not.
> >
> > Hi Jonathan,
> >
> > I really appreciate the answer. Thank you for your attention and time!
> >
> > During the week, I ended up picking the ADXL375 accelerometer (although I am
> > open to any change proposed by ADI or the IIO community). Based on that device,
> > I wrote a proposal and I would appreciate if you provide some feedback on the
> > device choice and proposal: https://pt.overleaf.com/read/xsmmdpvzqrhd.
>
> Unfortunately that part hits the second to last paragraph above.
>
> It's so nearly compatible with the ADXL345 that the driver already supports it:
> https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.18-rc1/source/drivers/iio/accel/adxl345_i2c.c#L42
> This is very common for these types of devices as there are often many similar
> variants, usually with different ranges or with small additional features, or numbers
> of interrupt pins etc.  Another fun one is parts with ratings for different applications
> but identical software interfaces being given different part numbers.
> I think in this case the two parts have different scaling, but are otherwise

Hi, Jonathan

I took another look at the Analog Devices Inc. catalog and choose another
couple of options:

    - ADPD188BI and ADPD410x: are optical devices based on SPI/I2C. I guess they
    might be too bold for a GSoC project.
    - MAX31875: is a Temperature Sensor based on I2C. Different than the optical
    devices, this one might be too simple.
    - LTC2499: is a multiplexed ADC sensor. For now, it is my best option.

If possible, I would like to get your input on those options.

Sincerely,
Maíra