Re: GSoC IIO project: Mugil

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 9:03 AM Mugil Raj <dmugil2000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> This is Mugilraj, an undergrad at NIT Trichy, India. I'm applying to
> GSoC'21 for the project IIO driver. So, I need help from you guys with
> the application process and finding the device to develop a driver.
> I've done few exercises on patch submissions and completed a Linux
> Foundations course, "A beginners guide to Linux kernel development
> (LFD103)". I found this "https://kernelnewbies.org/IIO_tasks"; task for
> beginners, and now I'm doing that also If anyone suggests some fixes
> to develop, that would be helpful for me.

hey,

i posted some ideas here:
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-iio/CA+U=Dsp98caW89g9FbsV-+KQ-NjyOqd+KSkO+aaFp4qBb-hpMg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/T/#md6c49f2e457d66d922d3d22f1f6fdb54971e6b8a

[a quick copy + paste from that email]

One thing I've always wanted to do, is to convert the entire IIO
subsystem to devm_ variants.
Essentially getting rid of the iio_device_unregister() function in
favor of using devm_iio_device_unregister() and similar.

There's about ~217 uses of this function.
The more complicated one is in the 'drivers/platform/x86/toshiba_acpi.c'
I think reworking the Toshiba ACPI driver would also be interesting,
but it is some work.

Now, converting everything to devm_ variants can be considered a bit
of an obsession [by some people].
But I sometimes find potential memory leaks by doing this conversion.
And chances are that we may never be able to fully convert the IIO API
to be devm_ variant-only.
But it is an interesting process [for me], just the cleanup itself.

Another one, that was interesting until 1-2 years ago, was the
conversion of OF drivers to be a bit more ACPI friendly [as well].
This is also a bit of work to convert drivers that use only
of_property_read_xxxx()  functions to   device_property_read_xxx()
functions.
This isn't always straightforward in all drivers, but I do find it
interesting to unify the OF & ACPI interfaces, so that all you have to
do, is just switch the system from OF to ACPI underneath, and if the
device-tree conversion to ACPI is done right, it just works.

Then, there's the matter of moving fields [marked as [INTERN] )  from
"struct iio_dev"  to "struct iio_dev_opaque".
The value of this conversion is to reduce the review pain of having to
tell people not-to-use [INTERN] fields [especially when older drivers
do].