Re: fake ACPI IDs in the drivers

On 11/25/20 1:00 PM, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
I'd assume that most drivers that have a acpi_device_id table do have
hardware that uses that ID and were not just cargo culted.

For new drivers we should push back on unregistered IDs, but if there is
hardware that uses them we have to take the patches.
Right. But at the same time we have to push the idea of proper IDs to
the vendor companies, so they won't abuse ACPI specification anymore.

The last couple of years have made me very cynical on this. Vendors will ship whatever works, not what is correct.