Re: fake ACPI IDs in the drivers

On 11/25/20 12:14 PM, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
Hi!

Recent discussion [1] [2] around faking ACPI ID in RTC subsystem and a
sudden check [3] (due to last Hans' patches related to ACPI based
systems) of IIO makes me wonder if we may start cleaning drivers from
faked ACPI IDs and establish a stricter rules for the ID table
entries.

Thoughts?

The cat is probably out of the bag.

If there are systems shipping with those unregistered ACPI IDs we still have to support them.

I'd assume that most drivers that have a acpi_device_id table do have hardware that uses that ID and were not just cargo culted.

For new drivers we should push back on unregistered IDs, but if there is hardware that uses them we have to take the patches.

- Lars