Re: [RFC] iio: adc: at91: fix acking DRDY irq (again)

On 12/06/2019 11:31:42+0200, Ladislav Michl wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 10:15:33AM +0200, Alexandre Belloni wrote:
> > On 11/06/2019 13:56:03+0200, Ladislav Michl wrote:
> > > Driver also contains some code for TC triggers. How is that supposed to
> > > work? [**] The very same manual states in chapter 39.5.5:
> > >   "If one of the TIOA outputs is selected, the corresponding Timer Counter
> > >    channel must be programmed in Waveform Mode."
> > > There are two drivers touching TC: drivers/clocksource/timer-atmel-tcb.c
> > > and drivers/pwm/pwm-atmel-tcb.c, they seem to conflict each other and
> >
> > They don't, they can work simultaneously, on different TCBs. I'm still
> > planning to rework pwm-atmel-tcb to switch it to the proper binding.
>
> Is there any draft how should that "proper binding" look like?
> By "conflict" I mean DT can be written so both race for the same resource,
> while I would expect timer definition with PWM and ADC using its phandle.

Last part of https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20170530215139.9983-2-alexandre.belloni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

This is not yet upstream but I'm planning to resend sometime in July.

> > > none of them is anyhow related to ADC driver. Here it would seem
> > > appropriate to have TC MFD driver and allocate timers for ADC, PWM and
> > > clocksource from there.
> >
> > No, MFD is way too late for clocksource, this would break some platforms.
> >
> > However, there is definitively some timer framework that is missing to
> > allow handling of timers that are not used as clocksource/clockevent
> > devices. So indeed, there is a missing piece to make the TC trigger
> > work.
>
> Can that be done similar way drivers/clocksource/timer-ti-dm.c is
> implemented or do you have something else in mind?

Yes, something similar but this could probably be made more generic as
this would benefit many other platforms too (i.e broadcom, nxp,
amlogic).

--
Alexandre Belloni, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering