libiio: support for channels that have no modifier or are not indexed

Michael, Alexandru,

Enrico and I are looking at using libiio to access chromebook sensors
instead of using sysfs iio directly.
Some of our sensors do not have modifier, they are not seen by libiio.
This is an existing open bug:
https://github.com/analogdevicesinc/libiio/issues/25

I am proposing a change to address this at:
https://github.com/analogdevicesinc/libiio/pull/273

It works on chromebooks, but it may fail for other sensors. How can I
test this changes will not introduce regression?

Thank you,
Gwendal.